Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tattoo Tuesdays: The bravest of all is Madeline...I'm not that Madeline


Growing up you can imagine the number of folks who would walk up to me upon discovering my name and see them try to resist the urge to pinch my cheeks. Why...because here I am in the flesh, Madeline. All I needed was the outfit and I would have been set. It gave relatives the excuse to shower me with any number of Madeline themed gifts: banks, puppets, hats, books, voodoo dolls....ok well maybe not. While my animated/book counterpart is a force to be reckoned with, fFrench, fearless, and perhaps feisty, I am not in fact named after her. Actually my name isn't even spelled the same.

My parents, ever the odd the sort (aka not going with the norm), gave us each unique names and that meant spelling them differently from anyone else. My name in fact is Madelyne (pronounced Mad-eh-lyne) not Madeline (pronouced Mad-eh-line or however the French accent it). I was named after Madeline Kahn...hilarious woman and at the time my parent's favorite actress.

Where is this going? Well, I was in search of a literary themed tattoo to feature today and thought who better to feature than my, would be (mistakenly), namesake Madeline; which led to some rather interesting ideas for a future tattoo for me. Ludwig Bemelmans' illustrations do lend themselves to some inking. Have I found my inspiration? If I was a sketcher, I would sketch out the design in my head that I got while searching for someone who had sent their Madeline tattoo out into the ether. However, as it is I think the tattoo I found, while cute, is a fake tattoo...nonetheless a tattoo for Tattoo Tuesdays. :)


Found via a site I'm now adding to my must follow list... Boys With Banjos.


In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline.

 
Looking for Madeline online I found this wikiHow and thought it to be sound advice. I couldn't pass up the chance to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...