Saturday, May 12, 2012

Friends Don't Let Friends NOT READ (FFNR)

A trip to a bookstore can always be sure to spark new ideas. Last month my friend and I travelled to the city for a Joann Fabrics excursion and ended up at -- where else? -- a Barnes & Nobles. Now my friend, Anna, has a 'nasty' habit of policing my book buying. You can see it in her eyes, she is most definitely a bibliophile police officer. One would question her motives, is she protecting the numerous unread books on my shelves or is she protecting my pocket book?

While there we kept reaching for books and gushing "Oh this is such a great book, have you read it?" We were more than a little put out when the other would answer "No," and even a little annoyed when the other professed doubt that they would like the other's book suggestion. Solution! Time to create book lists (or torture lists insert laugh)! Thus enters 'Friends Don't Let Friends NOT READ (FFNR)...

As a side note, I have been meaning to write about this challenge for some time, but little brother will not draw the banner art to be posted at the top of FFNR posts that I commissioned from him. I've given up waiting on him and will insert art later.

Challenge: 25 books that we have each read and feel the other MUST read. (The list started at 10...then 15...and that wasn't enough for me so I begged Anna to let us increase the number to 25. Guess what?!? She's read more of her list thus far than I have read of mine.)

Deadline: August (Me: I'm hoping we have until the end of August.)

Exceptions: If we don't like one of the books on our list, we have one alternate title. I accidently texted my alternate title to Anna and don't remember what 'out' I offered her.

I enjoy commentary with whatever list I'm working with, be it music, books, etc. Here is my list for Anna à la commentary!




1. Generation Dead by Daniel Waters - Zombies! This was the first contact I ever had with zombies, in literacy format. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it...there are 2 books after this one, but I think the third is a standalone novel.

2. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - Whenever someone asks for a recommendation while at the shop, I always hand them this book. Perhaps one of my favorites of all time...hey I've only lived 24 years so far! :)

3. Indiscretion by Jude Morgan - Hello! It is like a Jane Austen book only better....must read it.

4. Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer - I used to describe this book to people by saying it is Harry Potter meets Jane Austen, but have come to realize that is not a very apt description. There are 2 books after this one. :)

5. The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty - Funny, Australia, and what more do I need to say?!? Elyza and I have both read this book. We laughed out loud and frequently, if not for huge to be read piles, think about reading it again.

6. Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman - My grandmother read this when it was first published in the 40s during her nurses training. She said all the women passed the book around in her dorm, until they had all read it. I can understand why too. So good!

7. Seven Tears into the Sea by Terri Farley - I give this as a gift at least once a year. One, because, nearly everyone I talk to about it, has not read it or heard about it. Two, it is a good story.

8. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - This might be a little slow, but it sets the stage for the next 3 books. They are all great!

9. Boston Jane: An Adventure by Jennifer L. Holm - Every girl should read these books (yes book 1 of a trilogy)!

10. A Long and Fatal Love Chase by Louisa M. Alcott - Alcott's version of gothic fiction...very good!

11. Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt - Hang with it...a Robinhood sort of story. There are more in this series (which I highly recommend), but they each can standalone.

12. First We Have Coffee by Margaret T. Jensen - Mum always says this is a book that every woman should read or own before she gets married. I agree! It is not just for marriage bound girls though, so don't think you are off the hook!

13. The Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter - I know this book looks huge, but it is set in Scotland, it is a classic and it is about William Wallace.

14. Ascension by Kara Dalkey - Mermaids! ... don't hate me, but book 1 :)

15. The Magic Garden by Gene Stratton Porter - Everyone in Indiana should read at least one of her books; because she was born and raised here, plus she was a naturalist. This is a sweet story.

16. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - YOU WILL READ THIS! The books get better and better. I owe my love of the poet Rilke to these books.

17. The Green Rider by Kristen Britain - Again big book, but so worth it.

18. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - WW2, letters, and a love for books...great story.

19. Legacy by Cayla Kluver - Fantasy story by a girl who published this when she was 15! It is good and I can't wait to read books 2 and 3 :). Are we seeing a trend here?

20. Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey - YOU MUST READ THIS!

21. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder - Isn't the title alluring enough?

22. The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke - There is no excuse for you having not read this book.

23. O'Henry Collection of Short Stories (Dover Edition) - I recommend a specific edition because he wrote so many short stories and that edition gives you a nice taste for his writings. He is one of my favorite authors.

24. Marcelo and the Real World by Francisco Stork - About an autistic teenage boy, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book.

25. Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer - Girl Pirate! Hello! I know there are several books in this series, but it is worth it.


That's my list. I will post my list from Anna in a follow up post. I want to offer this challenge to any book lover out there, no should be left out. If I get enough of a response, I will look into having a signup list, that way everyone can see who is participating, etc.

Let the reading begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...