Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tattoo Tuesdays: Put Your Money Where Your...Ink is


It's back!

Tattoo Tuesdays, tattoos in general, are one my favorite blog post series to write. They are responsible for refueling my writing fire. When I was looking at previous posts I realized it was time to "bring it!" So if you have missed them too, without further ado...

It is not a little known fact anymore that I desire my flesh to play host/canvas to ink. As more and more people in my circle of friends and family discover how much I appreciate tattoos and want them, I am asked a number of questions.

What do you want? Where do want it? What's the hold up? Why? How much do you think it will cost? Are you going to get color? What does your Mum say?

I don't intend to spend today's Tattoo Tuesdays post answering all (or any really) of these questions. However, it is also important to realize I am no expert. I have been in a tattoo shop approximately ONE time. To say I was intimidated is putting lightly. I was there to get pierced and the guys working were incredibly easy going and made me laugh. Definitely helped to ease my jitters.

Tattoos should have meaning. People will tell you time and again that you will regret them when you are older. I don't believe this is the case always. Yes sometimes, but I don't intend for that to be my "problem". Hence tattoos being well thought out and having a great artist on your side. I am surrounded by artists in my house. My Mum, though against tattoos, is someone I frequently discuss and even sketch preliminary designs with on scraps of paper. She is one talented and supportive lady! She gave birth to my 3 extremely artistic siblings as well. My sister paints, sketches, collages, etc. She and I frequently have discussions about placement of tattoos and debates of color vs. no color. I even make to steal some of her ideas sometimes. (insert grin) My brothers are never without some mode of writing and drawing apparatuses; which, my Mum can attest to as she has folders full of church bulletins with their little creature creations over the years. The other evening my brothers and I sat down and started a late night "Let's draw up fake tattoos" session. It is medicine for the soul, I believe, to be surrounded by such creative people. "Luck ain't got nothing to with it." God blessed me tremendously.

As well as meaning, tattoos should be tattooed by the best or at the very least the next best thing. This means, to me, tattoos are expensive. I don't want my tattoos looking like 'Prison Tattoos', so I intend to break out the big bucks. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't imagine a great tattoo costing less than $100/$150ish. Remember I'm no expert, but I intend to go prepared. This may mean adding "Money for Tattoos" on my Christmas list. Shhh....don't warn my Mum or Santa for that matter. (insert smile)

Is it obvious I think about this a good deal of the time?


Features and other opinions for today:


Minimalism is increasingly more popular as of late. I also find myself more and more attracted to their simplicity. I like the "makes me stop and think" ability they tend to invoke. Pinterest find via my sister.

Another Pinterest find
Another important factor for me is placement. Hands, fingers, palms...I love hand tattoos. The compass and feather allusion to freedom is great for me in this tattoo. Of course I'm a compass kind of gal. The "smudge" of color is a nice addition. In answering the color vs. no color debate...I like color. However, I like looking at it more than the commitment to upkeep every year to maintain the colorfulness of a great tattoo. Color is not necessarily for me, but I can't bring myself to give it up when 'liking' someone else's tattoo.
 
 
Pinterest is a winner again today!
 
Remember meaning? Meet great story/symbolism for a tattoo! My initial attraction was the placement and choice for a tree and then the story sunk me.
 
"Since the 8th grade, my nickname had always been Tree because of my height. After a year or so this nickname started to become actually who I was, so I decided to get a tree on my side. The little guy to the left of me is my little brother who I love more than anything in the world. He is always trying to be like me, so when he saw the tattoo he begged and begged for on just like it. So I drew one on his side and told him it was a kids tattoo and that when he’s my age he can get a big boy tattoo."
 
 
 
Thinking it through or the basics: Placement, Price, Meaning/Significance and Decisions (Color vs. No Color, etc.). That should keep them busy, eh?
 
 
 
“You can kill people with sound. And if you can kill, then maybe there is also the sound that is opposite of killing. And the distance between these two points is very big. And you are free--you can choose. In art everything is possible, but everything is not necessary.”
~Arvo Pärt
 
 
 
 
Footnotes (footloose and fancy free):
  • If you're interested in keeping up with my tattooing adventure finds be sure to follow my board on Pinterest 'Sink Me In Ink'. Did I mention Pinterest enough today? ;)
  • Remember a long time ago in a galaxy faraway when I asked if someone would be interested in designing a new banner for me? No? Here it is again because I'm still looking: I'm looking for new banner art for Tattoo Tuesdays' posts. The picture at the top was just my bored half attempt at a quick 'smarty' banner for these posts. I didn't expect for them to continue, but they have and they are some of my favorites. Please leave a comment if you have an interest in submitting art or photographs, etc. for a banner. You will get recognition. Do you expect anything less from me? (insert smile) Tell your friends!
  • Today I 'played' it easy and listened to my Pandora Mumford & Sons Radio station while writing. I'm at the shop after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...