Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lately Thursdays

The day is crisp and sunny and I'm thrilled. Autumn is my favorite season, with winter and snow a close second. I will admit I'm looking forward to snow too, call me evil.
This week has found me exhausted and frustrated. Who is to blame? Knitting! I'm the type of person who likes to take on a challenge and when I say that I mean I pick the hardest project in the basket. Why? I'm beginning to ask myself that very question.

I don't have many avenues for getting guidance and that's rough for me because I'm a visual learner. I use youtube or knittinghelp.com as much as I can, but sometimes I just need a HUMAN being. Then with human beings I run into the issue of not having someone who is a perfectionist like me. Yes I know it is an annoying trait, but I want the knitting to look good and don't appreciate people lying to me (essential it is that) telling me my work looks fine. I need honesty. That is how I was taught sewing by my grandmother. "Madelyne you messed up, tear out all those stitches." Me: horrified expression, but I learned.

I've been trying this week to make a hat. I found the pattern on Ravelry and the difficulty level was marked as easy peasy. I'm giving the person the death look right now. Perhaps I need to pick patterns that were originally in English; no instead I pick Swedish or some other nonsense. Not that Swedish is nonsense to me. I quite like how it sounds when OTHER people speak it, though I haven't the slightest idea what they are saying.

Someone finally told me just do the pattern as it reads and don't worry about the mathematical part behind it. I love watching people's faces when I go into mathematical explanations for why things can't work. Against my better judgment I'm continuing on with the pattern as is, we will see how this works out. Otherwise I may be tempted to stab myself in the jugular with these freakishly long (14 inches!) metal needles, that for your information I HATE. I quickly went to the web and purchased a pair of wooden needles (inward sigh of relief). Now I just have to wait for them to arrive, wrong I have to keep knitting until the new cooler needles arrive.

This post sounds like I'm complaining. Yes I am, but I hope it shows my dedication. One night this week I was up until 3 AM trying to fix the yarn I had purchased for this project.

Reading: The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeir
I'm not exactly liking the book. In fact I'm very close to returning it to the library. Oh no I just realized it was due yesterday (Me: rushes to library's website to renew).

Listening: Skinny Love by Birdy
This song has been on repeat since someone dropped it into my waiting ears 2 weeks ago. Thank you!

What's on the docket for your pocket?: Bills! (Ugh)

Snap! I took a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...