Friday, September 7, 2012

Let the Opportunity Arise . . . Book Review

Book Review Time!

Book: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
Format: eBook (purchased from Amazon for my Kindle)
Finished: September 6, 2012
Rating: 5 stars!


What an emotional rollercoaster!

Often times when reading I try desperately to personify my judgment, decisions, or reactions onto the various characters, that I’m left frustrated and disappointed. I’m waving, stomping my foot, even screaming “Go here! Do that,” as though they will listen and heed my ‘wise’ advice. The Opportunist flaunted its raw and honest intent in my face. It made the choices I would scream for, but never have the courage to enact in my own circumstances. The very fact that Olivia can, in her own words, admit over and over again that “I’m a bad person,” is so refreshing. You the reader nod in agreement, but you don’t hate her. In fact she captured my attention so thoroughly I didn’t care about her claims. I cared she was so true to the nature of this beast we call human.

I’m not going to spoil the ending, but I feel so lost between wanting to cry and feeling a sense of relief, happiness even. Perhaps I will cry for the realism that I didn’t necessarily want, even though I say otherwise at times, and be happy with the gripping honesty. That a story can provoke such an emotion akin to mutual understanding and acceptances to their choices; the very choices that are evil in intent, yet we grapple with deciding do what feels right and what is right.

I was expecting a sappy, predictable, romance fluff novel. I’m glad to know my expectations were so far off their mark.

“I think that after the first time you give your heart away, you never get it back. The rest of your life is just your pretending that you still have a heart.”

Scary words, yet I still find myself careening into them, searching, hoping . . .

Tarryn Fisher. Well done.


Be sure to add The Opportunist to your Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...