Saturday, December 3, 2011

Book Review (of sorts): Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for the opportunity to review this book!

Born Wicked by Jessica SpotswoodCate Cahill is a witch. Her sisters are witches, as was her mother (now deceased). But in 1890 New England that is the farthest thing from “proper” for a woman to be.


I often judge books by their covers and had no inkling I had picked a book about witches, not my usual. It was an entertaining read and kept my attention. I was absorbed and forced to turn page after page to see what would become of this twisted situation.

The story is well written, but at times predictable. Although, I’m now frustrated, I have to wait over a year to find out what happens next.

If witches and alternative history novels are to your taste, this is a book you will enjoy. I truly felt for Cate and the burden she endeavored to take on.

I’m not one to appreciate religious mockery and this story is rife with it; as well as continuous examples of belittling the “Christian” faith’s distaste for bluestockings and the like. I am never quite sure where or why people get off thinking this is how things are. That is the only portion I take issue with in this story.


This review is proof that I'm not very good at writing negative reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...