The last few months of 2012 were not my best. They were crazy, chicken with my head cutoff busy and not memories I want to tuck away for a rainy day. When things get tough I tend to withdrawal and into my hermit hole I disappeared. I owe you, my blog followers/readers, an apology. I stopped writing and each week (Mondays and Tuesdays especially) the days would come and go with no words written. I’m not going to claim or expect you to have missed me, but I missed you. I missed writing. Although it is difficult and an overwhelming endeavor, I’m going to try to get my act together . . . learn some balance.
As it is Mundane Monday and now 2013, I wanted to quick recap a few 2012 happenings.
Christmas was the year of felt for me. If I had, had more time and energy my house would have become the ultimate felt factory. Thanks to a new favorite blog I follow, Design Mom, I’m getting new ideas all the time. The idea below for monogrammed ornaments came from her blog.
I took my love of Google+ and my new found friendships and applied felt. (insert smile)
My Christmas book loot (down from last year*) included:
|My Photo 'Peeking Pages'|
Time for the Goals!Last year I played it safe with 7 somewhat reasonable goals. Unfortunately, due to a long list of excuses I won't go into right now, I only accomplished 2 goals in 2012. See goals here. I bought my Canon Rebel T3i camera, Calvin . . . love at first sight. I also, by God's grace, was able to continue to save for my someday Africa trip/mission. I have no idea how much I have saved, but it brings such joy to my "little" heart to hear the clink, clink of more coins in my bank.
Even though I didn't accomplish everything on my list I'm bring out the big guns for 2013. I want this year to be the year of motivational "get 'her dones". I want to show 2013 whose boss (knowing that God has the ultimate controls for my life, but not wanting to or allowing life's bleck to stand in my way).
Books, Books, Books . . . Did I mention books?
- Finish my 25 by 25 reading list: I am old. I'm turning 25 in May, ugh. I made this list some time ago and realized I'm WAY behind, having only read 2 of the books, and it is time to get going.
- Read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: I'm not a fan or at least I don't think I am of him, but I want to read the book before the movie comes out.
- Read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: Time to read a Russian great! That and I want to read it before I see the movie . . . which didn't come to any theaters near me!?!
- Read 100 books and less eBooks: That's my goal and confession from last year.
- Buy less: Realizing that my "To be read" list on Librarything continues to grow and get out of hand; I want to focus on what I own that hasn't been read yet. Honestly, please someone send me some tips for withdrawal. I would like (like meaning this is my intention, but I don't know how likely or possible it is) to tuck away the money to buy a book each time I stop myself from buying it. (cough: yearight) Then at the end of the year (ok, ok, month?) reward myself with a book shopping spree.
- Flickr Famous: I would like to be featured; even just one of my pictures would be beyond awesome.
- Take LOTS of pictures: More hopefully equals honing my skills and technique. Plus I love taking pictures!
- Photoshop: Learn how to use it so that I don't smash my computer through the wall. Did I mention I have anger and patience issues?
- Memorize a poem and/or piece of scripture
- Teleport to Portland: My new dear friend Deven lives in Portland and I want so badly to meet her face to face! I know I might scare her, but hopefully we can move past the initial screaming and running in terror (insert big grin). Deven is an amazing artist, not that she needs a shout out from me, but definitely checkout her Etsy shop!
- Bigger in Texas: I have family that lives in Austin. I visited the city about 5 years ago and miss it. It is time to see it again!
- Sew More
- Knit More
- Bake More
- Write more on my blog: I owe you guys, right?!?
- Write a Children's book: The ideas are floating around, waiting and ready.
- Magazine Mayhem: I would like to dedicate a day to catch up on reading all of the magazines I subscribe to. The pile at the end of my bed continues to grow and sadly remains untouched.
The Life of Maddie
- Continue to save for Africa . . . go to Africa?: I don't know what this year holds in store, but I'm game if God is game!
- Pay off Debts: Debt free is the way to be . . . here's to hoping it can be done.
- Learn to take a compliment . . . graciously
- Here we come a . . . Vlogging?: I have a few "dear" (wink) friends whose initials are Mum, Deven and Ron that are pestering me to make videos about books. We'll see, we shall see.
- Stop comparing
- Continue exercising (Don't you like how I am being vague with some of these goals: Knit More, Continue exercising??)
- Punch a hole in it!: (insert grin) I need some new piercings and these are the ones I'm fancying to get: My tragus, my conch and my nose.
- Tattoo: Yep I want one and I think I'm ready!
Quote of the Day
“Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.”
~Louisa May Alcott
*That’s ok though, I’m finding I have enough books to last me for awhile and I need to focus more on reading what I have. I know we have heard this tune sung many times from me.