Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NaNoWriMo and Women Unbound

I had thought I would try my hand at NaNoWriMo. This is the first year I have ever heard of it and I very intrigued. Writing a novel in a month, what a challenge to anyone’s skills let alone my own (which aren’t much to shout about). However, I’m always good with excuses and procrastinating. The idea I have, involves too much research to commit to writing it in a month. I really need a good book on Welsh history and Crimean War. The rest I think I can get by with what’s in me head already. Oh, but wait another excuse and a much larger hurtle to jump (more like a wall). I lack confidence. I look at my writing and see nothing, but boring rubbish that anyone out there could write, nothing special. Do they have pills for confidence, maybe procrastination too? Or while your at it a write a bestseller pill...yum sounds good. That said no NaNo this year. I can’t promise, but maybe next year.

My disappointment was squelched a little when I came across A Work in Progress’s post about the Women Unbound reading challenge. I’m always up for a good book reading extravaganza. At least with this challenge I have a year to complete it. For Women Unbound you are suppose to read books about women studies* (my mind immediately says feminism, but I know that’s being completely unfair). I can’t claim much knowledge when it comes to this genre, in fact (excuse the term) I’m pretty much a virgin. There really isn’t a feminist bone in my body. ** That’s why I thought why not try something different and new. Besides it isn’t really stimulating to the mind to continually read the same types of books all the time. I was thinking I would attempt the highest level, suffragette (If I’m going to take a bite why not a big one...right?). Only one problem really, lack of reading material. Oh I own plenty of books, but not any about women studies. I need to read both nonfiction and fiction. I quickly consulted my LibraryThing to see what I had at the ready. Two? I only have 2 and one I’ve already read. Louisa May Alcott’s Behind a Mask (very good by the way) and The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Now to find 8 more, because as much as I liked Alcott’s, I want to read ‘new’ books. I checked the shop and we do have one there, Unveiling a Parallel: A Romance by Alice Ilgenfritz Jones and Ella Merchant***. Two down, 7 more to find. I’m taking suggestions (you in the back there, what? No sorry no Virgina Woolf...I’m teasing.). I’m hoping for suggestions honestly. Another reason I felt this would be a good to participate in, was because it might be interesting to have an opinion from the opposite side of the spectrum. I know I give myself too much credit (I can be rather pompous at times). Enough said I’m reading for the Women Unbound challenge!

...................................

Almost forgot, I finished Cranford. I loved it and think I will read it again. I feel I owe it to Mrs. Gaskell. Seeing how I took so many breaks from reading Cranford to read other books...sorry.
 


*Participants are encouraged to read nonfiction and fiction books related to the rather broad idea of ‘women’s studies.’ (quoted from their website)

** I feel I'm making quite an idiot of myself. If I were speaking all of this out loud I have a feeling I would be stuttering.

*** This book has actually been calling to me since we purchased it for the shop. It has a very pretty cover...I know guilty as charged.

1 comment:

  1. FABULOUS! Welcome to the Women Unbound Challenge. I encourage you to go through all the reading lists that have been posted and to read the reviews, as well. Perhaps we can entice that "non-feminist" you seem to say you are into thinking some new thoughts? (You aren't saying you are anti-feminist, are you?) You intrigue me and I will take a longer looksee here...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...