Saturday, January 7, 2012

Book Review: FOREVER isn't nearly long enough


Following an author’s career is much like watching a child grow. You see their worth from the beginning, though those around you might not catch on right away. As with a child, things begin a bit shakily, but the waiting makes it that much more fun to hang on and get excited as things progress.

Reading Maggie Stiefvater’s books has been one such venture. I remember my sister bringing home her book, Lament from the library. We quickly indulged and read the book. Our excitement so contagious we rushed to the computer, both agreeing we have to know more about this author. What did we find? Quite possibly the coolest grownup we’ve ever met. I mean she plays the bagpipes, blogs, writes books, is creative, and has an awesome taste in music!

I have just finished reading the final book of her Mercy Falls Trilogy, Forever. It took me the better part of three days to finish the last 20 pages. Torn between knowing the ending and wanting the story to never be over. It was difficult to finally buckle down and finish.

I want to thrust the books in front of you and say read! Or tie you to a chair and insist, freedom comes if and when you finish reading. However, I know many readers want explanations, why must I read this? What’s so great about it?

A dash of Mandelstam, a sprinkling of Roethke, a whole mess of Rilke and every bit Maggie Stiefvater. Characters that scream their humanity from pages that beg to be read. A progressive maturity across the three books that is refreshing and increases the realness of it all. I realize that I’m making a YA series sound like a study of the human psyche, worthy of a Nobel prize, but I appreciate the books uniqueness. In that they are not like every other YA book on the market.

Werewolves? Yes. Romance? Yes. Tragic? Yes. But it is human, real, believable. Sam who speaks to the quiet intellect in us all. Grace, brave and yet fragile. Cole who perhaps you should hate more often than not, but can’t help feeling a kindred “lost” tie to. Isabel such a bitch, but so much more than that, you want to hold her hand and listen.

All I know is Maggie Stiefvater gave me: werewolves, introduced me to my new lover, Rilke, some musings in German, and characters I wish I was living amongst sorting through my own issues right along side of. If that’s not enough to entice you, well then, keep reading what you have been and realize you’re missing out.

Maggie Stiefvater, (awesome last name by the way) I hope we meet someday!

Oh and P.S. you became ten fold that much more awesome after I watched your TED talk. :)



I didn’t understand how someone could be both God and the devil. How the same person could destroy you and save you. When everything I was, good and bad, was knotted with threads of his making, how was I supposed to know whether to love or hate him?
~Forever
Pg 189-190 (Sam talking)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...