Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bookstore, Teaching, Waiting on Wednesday (WoW) = Book Teaser from author Maggie Stiefvater

My last posted I ended with the abrupt news (not much details sorry) that I’m opening a bookstore with my sister. Things are progressing and the worry I feel everyday sometimes feels like a plague taking over my body. I hate worrying, but damn if I’m not good at. My mom and sister are going to pick the keys up today, I’m stuck being bored at work. Elyza and I have to pick paint colors. Let me rephrase that, Elyza and I have to AGREE on colors. She wants the shop to be painted with Nanny McPhee colors (have you seen the movie? Lots of color!). I’m more into earth tones, quaint, colors that breathe silence. I’m interested to see who wins this battle or how we’ll mange to combine our tastes. (I should post a picture of our bedroom so you can see how different we are.) I have briefly discussed with my mom postponing opening until either later in October or early November. Not quite feeling ready to open in a little more than 3 weeks. So is it killing you yet? Do you want to know the shop name? Maybe I should make you suffer some more. Oh alright I tell you already, stop whining! J (Drum roll please!) Pete & Freddy’s Pages Aplenty. For those of you who don’t live in Indiana and aren’t crazy enough to drive long distances to bookstores we do plan to sell books online at various places. In the distant future, very distant, we may have our own website for this. Don’t worry I’m sure I’ll let you know.

I haven’t brought this up to my mom, but I’m considering offering to teach my brothers Creative Writing class. She was going to pay someone, but that person hasn’t gotten back to her yet. Plus I love writing and I always want to be more a part of my mom’s homeschooling stuff. The only thing is balancing everything and convincing her I can. Work, bookstore, bookstore, bookstore, me time, and bookstore. Ahhhh, craziness! I’m currently compiling a list of writing projects for my brothers to present to her. A. David, is a very gifted writer (he has a blog, only 3 posts so far, but I really enjoy reading it). Reece well he is hard to motivate, but I can feel, when I read his stuff I feel like he has something there just waiting to burst. I know you’re probably asking, “Maddie what makes you think you’re the one for this task?” It is more for selfish reasons truly. I love writing and miss it so much. Maybe this would give me my own personal motivation to not give up on writing. I’d really like to get closer to my brothers as well.

Okay and now what you’re really here for, Waiting on Wednesdays. I haven’t posted anything for awhile for this, but today I have a really great book for it. I can’t wait to read it. I also have a Teaser from the author. The book is Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater. I first came across Maggie’s books when I saw a book trailer for her book Shiver. At the time the book wasn’t out and I hadn’t read anything by her. I went to the library and luckily they had a copy of her book Lament. I had to wait on Elyza to read it first, but finally did read it. I’ve never been the fairy reading type really. I like fantasy, don’t get me wrong just haven’t had much contact with fairies in my reading adventures. I’m ‘Waiting on Wednesday’ for Ballad because it is sort of the sequel to Lament. I liked the first book. It had me laughing and thoroughly intrigued with the outcome of the characters. I always enjoy getting to read an authors first book. There is something so fresh and exciting about their first book. Ballad is about one of the characters from Lament that was not a main character. Anyways I’m sure you’re ready for me to stop chattering on about it and move on to the Teaser.


This is a teaser from Maggie Stiefvater's BALLAD, a novel involving homicidal faeries and kissing that's coming out October 1st.


He turned towards me. For a long moment, he stood facing me. I was held, anchored to the ground – not by his music, which still called and pushed against the music already in my head and said grow rise follow – but by his strangeness. By his fingers, spread over the ground, holding something into the earth, by his shoulders, squared in a way that spoke of strength and unknowability, and most of all, by the great, thorny antlers that grew from his head, spanning the sky like branches.


Then he was gone, and I missed his going in the instant that the sun fell off the edge of the hill, abandoning the world to twilight.


Buy it here. Enter the contest at Maggie's blog here or here.


You can also see a really cool book trailer for Ballad (with bagpipes!) on her blog post here.

-Waiting on Wednesday's was not my own creation. I get it from another blog I read, The Magic of Ink. Thanks!

Okay that's enough for now, I need to go home. Have a great evening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...