Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blue Flu and The Blue Book

Today I didn’t want to come to work. Oh wait, it is that way everyday! I wish I had a profession that would allow me to work from home, but no such option has arisen yet. I opted for a blue flu day, but I couldn’t come up with a good excuse. My brother played on my conscience that I really needed to be honest about it and not come up with some nickel novel excuse for not going to work today. Ok little brother since when do you act as my conscience J? Although, I abandoned the idea of a blue flu day this morning, I am still contemplating leaving work early. We’ll see.
The past few weeks my free time at home has been spent canning. When I tell most people this they say luck you. However, I love preserving our gardens harvest. It makes me homey and old-fashion (is homey a word?). Monday night a friend of our family stopped at our house with presents for my mom, sister, and I. She purchased for each us the sacred canning book, which is a must for all canners (according to my grandmother), The Blue Book. I was browsing its pages last night and it does have many recipes, canning tips, a trouble-shooting section, and more. I see why it is consider very important to canners.
I finally finished Fitcher’s Brides by Gregory Frost. Thank goodness it is over. I’ve also finished 2 historical fiction books by Katherine Sturtevant, At The Sign of the Star and A True and Faithful Narrative. I enjoyed reading them. I hope to purchase both in the future. I felt the author had a good gripe on her facts and an understanding of the time period, 17th-century London.
I managed to finish another book recently, The Wood Wife by Terri Windling. I thought I had struck out again in choosing an author unknown to me to read, but I stuck with it. In the end I came to really like the book, it just took a while for it to build up. Once it did I couldn’t put it down. After reading her book, I think I would like to visit the desert.
I’m currently reading Legacy by Cayla Kluver. I don’t have a general opinion of it yet. I’ll have to let you know though as soon as I’m finished.
My goal for the month is to finish a total of 15 more books. I think if I put my brain into a comma in the process I should be able to do this. Of course my goal for next month is 15 books as well. I hope I can do it!



No quote of the day this time. However, take the time to read the poem, The Spires of Oxford by Winifred M. Letts. She is one of my favorite poets.





A last note: I think I need to learn to write shorter blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...