Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tattoo Tuesdays: I Wish Resilence Was A Friend Of Mine


Perhaps you're familiar with the saying "Wish in one hand, spit in the other"? I cannot count the number of times I have said this to myself over the years. I think it is such a common "go to" phrase, you are more likely to hear it than "good morning".

I hope to never dissuade people, or even my own children someday, to give up the practice of wishing and dreaming. They are such close companions of hoping. Just wishing and hoping
and thinking and praying and planning and dreaming*. They are most definitely the 3 musketeers of a million and one hearts. As much as I love to preach the "wishing gospel", there is a downside, much like other things in life, two sides to every coin.

I wish I had this.

I wish I was skinner.

I wish I had that.

I wish I was as pretty as _______.

I wish I could just do it.

I wish I was more like _______.

I wish I was stronger.

Wishing can and does get me (us) into trouble. I get caught up in everything I don't have and the qualities I lack, that everything else, the heart of the matter (me), is shoved aside forgotten...left to rot and fester. Scary how quickly we slide into the lifestyle of the "rich and famous", blessings and talents we may already possess loosing any merit in our minds.

I don't have a quick fix for you. If I did I would greedily consume as much of it myself as I could and then consider sharing. Selfish, aren't I?

Maybe the first step is confession. That's not easy either, though, but I've said it before...confession is good for the soul. Damn hard to do, especially for hard hearts with a super dash of stubborn, but good nonetheless. Hello my name is Maddie. I wish I was strong and never had to think of weakness again. I wish I was a resilient monster. Watch out world...yeah not so much.

Funny how the writing process works. I didn't have these tattoos before journeying out to write my words. I let the words guide me first and then started thinking Oh shoot! I need to match the ink to the words, don't I? I will let you be the judge of their cohesive (good word...co-he-sive...say it slow, feels good on my tongue) nature.


Sometimes our promises are strong enough to keep us going...no wishing needed. (insert wink) This is a tattoo I will get. The cleverness of placement and meaning of a pinky promise, yep this is a winner in my books. I love the reminder and of course hand/finger tattoos and me are like this (crosses fingers). If I'm honest, the photo is what initially drew me to this tattoo.

I like at first glance (for me anyways) how this tattoo looks like it is in a different language. The typography is definitely a factor for me and the encouragement of placement, in that everyday you will be pushed to remember. Stop existing. Start LIVING.


Last, but not least!
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket**--no wait tattoo it as a sleeve. (insert wink) You know me, the more black "fill in" ink the better. I don't know why exactly I am drawn to tattoos like this, but goodness knows I'm not in the realm of being brave enough to undergo that much "prodding". I like the slightly abstract feel of this tattoo.


Another wishful moment:
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Romans 12:12
 

Footnotes (I think it is sleeting and guess who has Rope Souls on today!):
  • *Dusty Springfield of course!
  • ** Has anyone notice how often I reference songs in passing? Perry Como sing it to me!
  • Music listening was a treat today. I need to remember to "clean up" my Watch Later playlist on YouTube. Talk about wide range of taste!

2 comments:

  1. http://nsrenaissance.com/now-flower-delivery-in-aliso-viejo-ca-is-easy-and-fast">work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy that I read your post again. Keep the good work going on....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...